Connect with us

Health

Djokovic faces deportation after Australia revokes visa for second time

Tennis star Novak Djokovic faces deportation after Australian government revokes his visa for a second time.

Immigration Minister Alex Hawke said Friday he used his ministerial discretion to revoke the 34-year-old Serb’s visa on public interest grounds three days before the Australian Open is to begin.

For more coronavirus news, visit our dedicated page.

Djokovic’s lawyers are expected to appeal the cancelation in the Federal Circuit and Family Court as they successfully did after the first cancellation.

It is the second time Djokovic’s visa has been canceled since he arrived in Melbourne last week to defend his Australian Open title.

His exemption from a COVID-19 vaccination requirement to compete was approved by the Victoria state government and Tennis Australia, the tournament organizer. That apparently allowed him to receive a visa to travel.

But the Australian Border Force rejected the exemption and canceled his visa upon arrival in Melbourne. He spent four nights in hotel detention before a judge on Monday overturned that decision.

Read more:

Australian Open draw delayed amid uncertainty over Djokovic

Djokovic admits to mishandling COVID-19 situation as criticism mounts

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Health

Nigeria first country to introduce ‘revolutionary’ meningitis vaccine

Nigeria has become the first country to roll out a “revolutionary” five-in-one vaccine against meningitis, the World Health Organization (WHO) said in a statement on Friday.

Continue Reading

Health

Hepatitis killing thousands daily, WHO warns in new report

The number of lives lost due to viral hepatitis infections is increasing and already accounts for 3,500 deaths daily, according to a report by the World Health Organization (WHO) released on Tuesday.

Continue Reading

Health

Gaza: ‘Systematic dismantling of healthcare must end’ says WHO

With the largest hospital in Gaza largely destroyed and out of action, access to healthcare has now become “totally inadequate” following six months of brutal fighting between Israeli forces and Palestinian militants, said the World Health Organization (WHO) on Saturday.

Continue Reading

Trending