Connect with us

Health

Chinese woman stuck in blind date’s house after Zhengzhou city lockdown

Imagine being on a first date you couldn’t end? That’s what happened to a woman in China whose video blogs about going into a COVID-19 citywide lockdown during a blind date have gone viral.

Over 100 coronavirus cases have been reported in the central Chinese city of Zhengzhou since last week, as China battles to contain multiple local outbreaks of the delta and omicron variants.

For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.

Parts of the city were abruptly placed under lockdown last Wednesday when a woman surnamed Wang was having dinner at her blind date’s house.

“Just after I arrived in Zhengzhou, there was an outbreak and his community was put under lockdown and I could not leave,” Wang told Shanghai-based outlet The Paper on Tuesday, adding that she went there for a week-long trip to meet potential suitors.

“I’m getting old now, my family introduced me to ten matches… The fifth date wanted to show off his cooking skills and invited me over to his house for dinner.”

Since then, Wang has posted short videos documenting her daily life in lockdown, which show her date cooking meals for her, doing household chores and working at his laptop while she sleeps in, according to clips published by local media.

So far it seems romance has yet to blossom during their prolonged date, according to Wang who says she’s looking for a more talkative partner.

“Besides the fact that he’s as mute as a wooden mannequin, everything else (about him) is pretty good,” Wang told The Paper.

“Despite his food being mediocre, he’s still willing to cook, which I think is great.”

Wang did not disclose her age or the identity of the man in the videos.

Related hashtags have racked up over six million views on the Twitter-like social media site Weibo by Wednesday.

However, Wang said the recent surge in online attention prompted her to remove the videos.

“Friends have been calling him and I think this has definitely affected his life, so I have taken them down for now,” she said in a video posted Tuesday that was widely republished in Chinese local media.

“Thanks everyone for your attention… I hope the outbreak ends soon and that my single sisters also find a relationship soon.”

Read more:

COVID-19 cases rose by more than 50 percent, deaths stable: WHO

Tianjin begins city-wide testing after at least two local omicron cases detected

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Health

General Assembly President calls for solidarity with Ukraine as ‘needless war’ enters a third year

UN General Assembly President Dennis Francis urged countries to stand with the people of Ukraine “in their quest for justice and peace” during a meeting on Friday to mark two years of Russia’s full-scale invasion of the country.

Continue Reading

Health

First Person: Supporting mental health in Madagascar, one consultation at a time

Ongoing humanitarian crises in southern Madagascar have worsened the situation for people with mental health disorders, but the UN’s World Health Organization (WHO) has been supporting patients by providing more psychiatric consultations.

Continue Reading

Health

Stories from the UN Archive: Boris Karloff, leprosy and Nigeria

As the world celebrates World Radio Day, marked on 13 February, we dug into the UN archives for a vintage podcast classic from 1959, when famed Frankenstein actor Boris Karloff narrated an episode describing a visit to a leprosy clinic in Tiranka, Nigeria.

Continue Reading

Trending