Connect with us

Health

Global hotel cancellations rise ahead of holidays due to omicron: Trivago

Published

on

Concerns over the Omicron coronavirus variant and fresh travel restrictions have led to a spike in hotel booking cancellations globally, online hotel search firm Trivago said on Tuesday, threatening to upend a fragile recovery in tourism.

Cancellation rates increased to 35 percent since November and holiday travel planning was down 10 percent, the company said, adding that most travelers were choosing domestic destinations.

The company did not say what the cancellation rates were prior to November.

For more coronavirus news, visit our dedicated page.

The Omicron outbreak, first reported in southern Africa, has led to a flurry of new testing rules and border closings, raising concerns ahead of the important Christmas travel season.

Multiple events ranging from sports and trade shows to corporate parties have been canceled, also leading to a slowdown in hotel bookings.

Trivago said overall activity around holiday travel planning has slowed, growing by just 4 percent since the variant was discovered. By comparison, Christmas travel increased by 34.7 percent in the same one-to-two-week period in 2019.

Last month, the company said it saw an increase of 35 percent in search traffic in the week leading up to Thanksgiving.

US travelers are sticking with Las Vegas and New York as top holiday destinations, the company said.

“Much like 2020, domestic travel is the preferred option as consumers look to reunite with friends and family,” Trivago said.

United Airlines said on Tuesday it expected around 8 million people to fly during the year-end holiday season, which the company added was higher than the number of people flying during the Thanksgiving period.

The airline had previously warned that the Omicron variant was a threat to translantic travel.

International flight searches from the US were down between 35 percent and 39 percent in the first week of December, according to rival Booking Holdings Inc's travel website Kayak.

They were down about 25 percent just before Thanksgiving, a day before the World Health Organization named the new COVID-19 variant and said it may spread more quickly than other forms, according to Kayak.

Fears over the variant have grown after British Prime Minister Boris Johnson warned of a “tidal wave” of new cases, with the country reporting the first publicly confirmed death in the world due to Omicron on Monday.

Read more:

WHO warns against blanket travel bans over Omicron coronavirus variant

COVID-19 variant Omicron brings back travel curbs worldwide: All you need to know

EU travel curbs needed till more known about Omicron variant: Germany’s Spahn

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Health

‘Wuhan, I Am Here’: Film follows volunteers in Chinese sealed city due to COVID-19

Published

on

The homeless, the sick, the elderly: For people who fell through the cracks of the official system, the then-unprecedented decision to isolate the central Chinese city of Wuhan and its 13 million people was a matter of life or death at the peak of the COVID-19 outbreak.

Film director Lan Bo hopes to sound the alarm with a documentary, “Wuhan, I Am Here,” about volunteers who helped neighbors get food and medical care following the lockdown in early 2020 of the city where the coronavirus pandemic began.

For more coronavirus news, visit our dedicated page.

The documentary comes as China has renewed similar lockdowns in three other cities since mid-December to contain COVID-19 outbreaks. The number of people confined to their homes totaled some 20 million people in early January.

The government’s decision to commandeer Wuhan’s hospitals to treat COVID-19 patients meant many people with other problems were turned away.

The film begins with a woman in tears outside a hospital that wouldn’t admit her husband for treatment of lung cancer. Volunteers secured a bed for him by talking with a Beijing hospital and working medical connections.

Other families struggled to get treatment for children with severe conditions.

For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.

“At that time, medical resources focused on COVID-19 patients, so it wasn’t their turn” to be treated, said Lan.

“Those who needed dialysis, those who had cancer and AIDS patients who needed medicine,” said Lan. “In addition, patients in critical condition and needed to be hospitalized — what were they going to do? We were all thinking about these questions.”

The government sent truckloads of food daily to apartment compounds. But elderly people who couldn’t leave their homes and the homeless relied on volunteers to get food for them.

Lan chronicles the hurdles volunteers encountered. They needed permits to drive in different areas of Wuhan. They were stopped by local officials who said they lacked permission to distribute food and other supplies.

The lockdown of Wuhan, which spread to other Chinese cities, was later imitated by some Asian and Western governments as the virus spread.

China’s unusually stringent “zero tolerance” strategy that aimed to find and isolate every infected person helped to keep the country’s case numbers relatively low.

The National Health Commission has reported a total of 4,636 fatalities — and none since early 2021 — out of 105,484 confirmed cases.

In the latest lockdown, most access to Xi’an in the west and its 13 million people was suspended in mid-December.

The city government has been criticized for food shortages and the severity of anti-disease measures imposed under pressure from Beijing to bring down case numbers.

A pregnant woman suffered a miscarriage after being turned away from a hospital, reportedly for lacking current COVID-19 test results.

Xi’an failed to learn from Wuhan about the importance of volunteers, Lan said.

Especially the pandemic in Xi’an, what I saw is the government’s neglect of civilian forces, which resulted in the lack of adequate treatment at the grassroots level,” Lan said.

“Why was Wuhan able to get through this?” Lan said. “I think in addition to our country and the government’s huge input into resources, it was also because of the contributions of the tens of thousands of volunteers that worked in obscurity.”

Lan has applied for government approval to release the “Wuhan, I Am Here” in China. It was screened at the Yamagata International Documentary Film Festival in Japan last year.

Under a lockdown, “it is this kind of daily life that sometimes determines the life and death of a person and determines the destiny of the person,” Lan said.

Read more:

Continue Reading

Health

Saudi Arabia marks further drop in daily COVID-19 infections with 4,608 new cases

Published

on

The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia reported on Saturday 4,608 COVID-19 cases and two new deaths in 24 hours, according to the Ministry of Health.

Developing

Continue Reading

Health

Rio carnival postponed as COVID-19 cases surge in Brazil

Published

on

The world-famous Carnival festivities in Rio de Janeiro will be held in late April rather than the final weekend of February, as the number of coronavirus cases in Brazil spikes and the omicron variant spreads across the country.

“The decision was made respecting for the current situation of the COVID-19 pandemic in Brazil and the need, at this time, to preserve lives and join forces to drive vaccination throughout the country,” said a statement issued Friday jointly by the cities of Rio and Sao Paulo, which also delayed the start of its Carnival parades until April 21.

For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.

Earlier in the afternoon, Rio’s Mayor Eduardo Paes and his Sao Paulo counterpart Ricardo Nunes held a video call along with their respective health secretaries and each city’s league of samba schools that put on the parade, according to the statement.

Paes announced weeks ago that his city’s raucous street parties, some of which draw hundreds of thousands of revelers, wouldn’t proceed in the manner they did before the pandemic, but without clarifying what shape they might take.

He said at the time, however, that samba schools’ parades through the Sambadrome would proceed as planned, in light of the relative ease with which vaccination status and negative coronavirus tests could be checked upon entry.

The parade through the Sambadrome is a major tourist draw for Rio and the central fixture of the city’s pre-Lenten party. It draws tens of thousands of spectators in its bleachers and tens of millions watch from home.

Read more:

UN chief: World worse now due to COVID-19, climate, conflict

Valneva COVID-19 vaccine neutralizes omicron in early lab tests

Cheaper COVID-19 pill to be available to 105 developing countries after massive deal

Continue Reading

Trending