Connect with us

World

Team Abu Dhabi win fourth successive world title as Andersson Pips Al Qemzi for drivers’ crown

Published

on

FIGUEIRA, Portugal, 29th November, 2021 (WAM) — Team Abu Dhabi are UIM F1H2O world champions for a fourth year in succession after a day of extreme drama at the Grand Prix of Portugal, which saw Thani Al Qamzi agonisingly lose out to Sweden’s Jonas Andersson in the race for the drivers’ title.

Victory in a tense final round of the shortened 2021 season, his second in the space of 48 hours, saw Andersson edge out third-placed Al Qemzi by a single point to prevent the Emirati from becoming the first Arab driver to win the F1H2O crown.

Defending champion Shaun Torrente finished fifth on the day, and third in the championship, just two points adrift of his Abu Dhabi team-mate, after his own title hopes had been upset earlier in the day by a blown engine in qualifying.

Torrente had started the day in a powerful position to claim a third successive F1H2O triumph, holding a three-point lead over Al Qemzi, with Andersson another seven points adrift.

But the American’s engine failure in the second qualifying session led to him starting the race from the back of the field four hours later after the impressive Andersson had recorded a second successive pole position.

Qualiying in sixth, Al Qemzi made a typically strong bid to climb into a second place finish which would have made him world champion, ultimately losing out by a single spot as Finnish rookie Alec Weckstrom finished second to Andersson.

The outcome was in doubt until the final seconds of the 40-lap race, however, after Sharjah Team’s Sami Selio crashed out spectacularly while holding second place with five laps remaining.

But Al Qemzi’s last chance to claim runner’s up spot in the race, and with it the world title, ended as the yellow flag stayed in place for the remaining laps, allowing Andersson to squeeze home as the new world champion.

There had been drama earlier on the 29th lap when Norway’s Marit Stromoy crashed out of the race, bringing out the yellow flag and halting proceedings with the world championship still hanging in the balance.

After high winds making conditions dangerous forced the postponement of yesterday’s three-stage qualifying session, this morning’s rescheduled fight for pole position was dramatically cut short for Torrente.

The defending champion set a good early time in Q2, but by then he had already felt a worrying vibration in the boat. After stopping to have this checked for a possible propeller problem he set of again, only for the engine to blow moments later.

"It’s the first failure I’ve had in three years," said Torrente as the Team Abu Dhabi mechanics set about fitting a new engine. "It’s not over yet – all I have to do is pass 14 boats."

He gave everything, knowing that a third place finish would see him complete a world title hat-trick, but ultimately fell two places short, although he was able to celebrate another world team championship success with Al Qemzi

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

World

US combat jet crashes in South China Sea exercise, 7 hurt

Published

on

A US Navy F35C Lightning II combat jet conducting exercises in the South China Sea crashed while trying to land on the deck of an American aircraft carrier, injuring seven sailors, the military said Tuesday.

The pilot was able to eject before the aircraft slammed into the flight deck of the USS Carl Vinson on Monday and then fell into the water. The pilot was safely recovered by a helicopter, said Lt. Mark Langford, a spokesman for the US 7th Fleet.

For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.

Seven sailors, including the pilot, were injured and three were evacuated for medical treatment in Manila, Philippines, while four were treated on board the ship. The three sent to Manila were reported in stable condition on Tuesday morning, the Navy said.

Details on the crash of the multimillion-dollar aircraft were still being verified, Langford said.

“The status and recovery of the aircraft is currently under investigation,” he told The Associated Press.

Two American carrier strike groups with more than 14,000 sailors and marines are conducting exercises in the South China Sea, which the military says is to demonstrate the “US Indo-Pacific Command Joint Force’s ability to deliver a powerful maritime force.”

Impact to the deck of the USS Carl Vinson was “superficial,” Langford said, and both carriers have resumed routine flight operations.

As China has pressed territorial claims in the South China Sea and increased pressure on Taiwan, the US and its allies have stepped up exercises in the region, in what they call freedom of navigation operations in line with international law.

As the Carl Vinson and Abraham Lincoln strike groups began their dual carrier operations on Sunday, China flew 39 warplanes toward Taiwan in its largest such sortie of the new year, according to Taiwan’s defense ministry.

The formation of 24 Chinese J-16 and 10 J-10 fighter jets stayed out of Taiwanese air space, but the maneuver prompted Taiwan to scramble its own aircraft in response.

Chinese pilots have been flying toward Taiwan on a near-daily basis, and it was unclear if Sunday’s flights were a response to the American exercises. China’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs refused to comment.

Taiwan and China split during a civil war in 1949, but China claims the island as its own territory. Beijing has used diplomatic and military means to isolate and intimidate the self-ruled island, but the US has continued to support Taiwan by selling it advanced weapons and fighter planes.

Continue Reading

World

Snowstorms, cold and fire threaten displaced Syrians in northern camps

Published

on

Five-year-old Intissar and her younger sister Lin were sheltering from northern Syria’s bitter winter cold when fuel from a heater ignited their tent, killing them and seriously injuring their mother.

The young family and other displaced Syrians were living near the Turkish border in a camp of more than 400 tents, which offer little protection from snowstorms and plunging temperatures which struck in recent days.

For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.

The cold snap has brought chaos to traffic and flights in neighboring countries but its effects are most severe in northwest Syria, where 3 million people have been left homeless in a long-running humanitarian crisis.

Many have been displaced several times by the 11-year war.

“People in the camp are suffering. The tents don’t protect from the cold,” said Nouredin al-Abdullah, whose cousin Ahmed is the father of the girls who died. “If you think about heating, God forbid, you and your children may go (the same way).”

He said the latest snowfall was the heaviest he had seen.

The weight of the snow has collapsed many tents, while water seeped underneath them.

Across the region, food supplies and health services have been disrupted and relief workers are struggling to reach some of the 300 worst affected sites, said Mark Cutts, U.N. deputy regional humanitarian coordinator for Syria.

“The numbers are just staggering, and it is very difficult to provide people with all the support they need,” he said. Desperate to stay warm, people were burning cardboard and plastic bottles, and then inhaling toxic fumes.

“Even more suffering is caused because of the lack of fuel for heating,” he told Reuters, adding that at least one child had died from the freezing cold.

“There are more than 1 million people still living in tents or substandard accommodation,” Cutts said. “It’s becoming increasingly urgent that we get people out of these tents.”

Read more: Syrian prison battle death toll tops 150, concern over fate of minors

Continue Reading

World

Gunmen kill Pakistani policeman guarding polio workers

Published

on

Gunmen shot and killed a Pakistani policeman who was providing security for polio vaccination workers in the northwest on Tuesday, according to police.

The assailants fled the scene, and no one claimed responsibility for the attack in Kohat, local police official Dikdar Khan said. He added that the body of the slain policeman had been transported to a hospital.

For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.

No polio workers were harmed in the attack, police said, a day after Pakistan launched a nationwide anti-polio campaign.

Militants in Pakistan often target polio teams and police assigned to protect them, falsely claiming the vaccination campaigns are a Western conspiracy to sterilize children. Militants have claimed responsibility for previous attacks across the country.

Read more:

Pakistan beefs up security in capital after deadly Lahore blast

Bomb blast in Pakistan’s Lahore kills three, injures 20

Pakistani police officer, two militants killed in Islamabad clash

Continue Reading

Trending