Connect with us

Entertainment

Britney Spears teases Oprah interview in Instagram post thanking fans

Britney Spears teased an upcoming interview with Oprah Winfrey in an Instagram post thanking her fans for their support in ending her father’s legal control over her affairs.

For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.

The pop singer said her fans “saved [her] life in a way” by campaigning to end the conservatorship that was introduced in 2007 after a highly-publicized mental health breakdown.

“I’m not here to be a victim,” Spears said in an Instagram video. “I’m here to be an advocate for people with real disabilities and real illnesses.

“I’m a very strong woman, so I can only imagine what the system has done to those people.”

Spears wrote in a caption that she wanted to share a “hint” of her thoughts before going to “set things square on Oprah.”

A legal battle culminated in the conservatorship being dropped on Friday November 12.

Despite having generated a $60 million fortune over her career, Spears was limited to a weekly allowance of $2,000, according to court documents.

She was also not allowed to drive her own car.

All the while, Spears kept touring and performing to sold-out arenas across the world.

Diehard fans had campaigned online in the ‘Free Britney’ movement to bring awareness to her situation, trawling through her social media posts for supposed cryptic messages signaling her distress.

“The Free Britney movement, you guys rock,” she said in the video. “My voice was muted and threatened for so long… delivering that news to the public for so long, you gave an awareness to all of them.”

Britney’s father Jamie Spears has said through attorneys that he helped his daughter rehabilitate her career and always acted in her best interest.

The “Baby One More Time” singer is engaged to her personal trainer Sam Asghari.

With Reuters

Read more:

What’s next for Britney? Clues are in her own words

Lady Gaga hails Britney Spears as an inspiration after lengthy conservatorship lifted

Iconic Syrian singer Sabah Fakhri dies in Damascus

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Entertainment

First reconstruction of 2,000 year-old Nabataean woman unveiled at Saudi’s AlUla


Saudi Arabia revealed a 3D reconstruction of the face of a Nabatean woman who lived some 2,000 years ago in Hegra in AlUla, the country’s first UNESCO world heritage site.

Archaeologists say the woman is named ‘Hinat’, and is believed to be a woman of wealth whose remains were found in a well-preserved tomb in Hegra, along with the remains of nearly 80 other people. They added that her skull and skeleton were more complete than the rest of the remains, which pushed them to use it to start the facial reconstruction project.
For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.
The reconstruction model will be put on display at the Hegra Welcome Centre in AlUla on Monday (February 6) under the supervision of The Royal Commission for AlUla.
The Nabateaens, an Arab civilization that arose centuries before Jesus, settled in Hegra in the first century BCE, after expanding south from Petra into what is now north-west Saudi Arabia, having amassed wealth as traders in frankincense, spices, and other luxury goods, a press release said.
“They’re still a fairly mysterious civilization to a lot of people and I hope that this project will enable people to engage with the faces, the characters, the story of the Nabataeans in a much deeper way than perhaps has previously been realised,” the facial reconstruction project lead at the commission, Helen McGauran said.
The team of archaeologists and other specialists gathered in London in 2019 to put together a character imagination for ‘Hinat’ and completed the 3D reconstruction in July 2020.

Read more:

In pictures: Here are 6 sites in Saudi Arabia on UNESCO’s World Heritage list

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Harry Styles wins Grammy for Album of the Year, beating Beyonce, Adele 


Harry Styles on Sunday won the coveted Grammy for Album of the Year, a surprising victory over heavy favorites Beyonce and Adele.

The pop sensation scored the award, usually seen as the night’s most prestigious, for his third album “Harry’s House,” his most intimate yet, which combined twangy synths and soft acoustics with very personal lyrics.

For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.

“This doesn’t happen to people like me very often, and this is so nice,” he said onstage.

The album’s release marked an evolution for the one-time boy band heartthrob to the teenage masses, who has steadily grown into a heartthrob for all.

“Harry’s House” conjures the sonic equivalent of a warmly lit California afternoon by the pool, and showcases Styles’ developing songwriting skills.

But it was not necessarily tipped for Grammy gold, as it faced off against blockbuster releases from pop’s titans.

Prior to Sunday, Styles had just one Grammy to his name, and was perhaps better known for his flamboyant style and campy stage presence than his musical chops.

Earlier in the night, he also scooped the award for Best Pop Vocal Album.

His Album of the Year triumph was sure to draw comparisons to the 2017 Grammys, when Beyonce lost out to Adele in the top category despite releasing the earth-shaking “Lemonade.”

This year, her album “Renaissance” was considered a near shoo-in for the night’s top award, especially after she became the winningest artist of all time, with 32 lifetime Grammys.

But it was Styles who ended up with the golden statuette.

“On nights like tonight, it’s obviously so important for us to remember that there is no such thing as bests in music,” he told his peers.

Read more:

Grammy awards: Will megastar Beyonce finally win top honor of best album?

Jon Batiste tops Grammys; Silk Sonic soars, Rodrigo crowned

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Highest grossing movie: Avatar 2 toppled by Knock at the Cabin after seven weeks


Knock at the Cabin, an apocalyptic horror film from director M. Night Shyamalan, was the highest-grossing movie in US and Canadian theaters this weekend, knocking out Walt Disney Co.’s Avatar: The Way of Water, which held that spot for seven weeks in a row.

The Universal Pictures film generated $14.2 million in ticket sales domestically in its first weekend, researcher Comscore Inc. estimated Sunday. That’s below Boxoffice Pro’s forecast of $18 million to $27 million.

For all the latest headlines follow our Google News channel online or via the app.

80 for Brady, a comedy from Paramount Pictures about four octogenarian women attending the Super Bowl to watch their hero play, came in second place with an estimated $12.5 million in its domestic debut.

Key Insights

Knock at the Cabin’s debut follows a string of successful original horror films last year. Although theater ticket sales are still about a third below pre-pandemic levels, the horror genre has proved more dependable than others for studios, with the likes of Universal’s Black Phone, Paramount’s Smile and Barbarian by Disney’s 20th Century Studios all selling tickets worth about 10 times their budgets.

The film, starring Dave Bautista, is based on the 2018 novel The Cabin at the End of the World by Paul G. Tremblay. Knock at the Cabin follows a family, vacationing at a remote house in the woods, that’s taken hostage by four armed strangers demanding they make an unthinkable choice to avert the apocalypse.

80 for Brady, a rare film with an ensemble of older women, was the subject of an unusual promotion. AMC theaters offered seats at lower prices than other films running at the same time.

The Way of Water, directed by James Cameron and released in December, is the highest-grossing film to come out since the start of the pandemic and the fourth-highest of all time with $2.17 billion in global ticket sales. Until this weekend, it hadn’t faced much competition from new films. Disney has kept it exclusively in theaters, drawing out fans who want to see it in large screen and 3D formats.

Read more:

Cinema chain AMC exits Saudi market

Actor Alec Baldwin formally charged over fatal ‘Rust’ film set shooting

‘Laverne & Shirley’ actor Cindy Williams dies at 75

Continue Reading

Trending