Connect with us

World

Two drones shot down targeting Iraq base: Anti-ISIS coalition

Two armed drones targeting an air base in western Iraq were shot down on Tuesday, an official of the US-led coalition fighting ISIS said.

For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.

“Two fixed-wing drones rigged with explosives were engaged and destroyed by defensive capabilities at the Iraqi Al-Asad Air Base early this morning,” the official said.

“The attempted attack was unsuccessful. All forces are accounted for.”

It is the second such attack in 24 hours targeting the coalition in Iraq. On Monday, the coalition shot down two armed drones targeting its compound at Baghdad airport.

Read more:

Two armed drones shot down in Baghdad: Anti-ISIS coalition source

Saudi Arabia’s defenses intercepted, destroyed five drones targeting Kingdom

Arab Coalition carries out air strikes on four targets in Sanaa

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

World

UN aims to transfer 6,750 Ethiopians trapped in war-torn Yemen

The UN migration agency said Tuesday it aims to help transfer at least 6,750 Ethiopian migrants from war-torn Yemen to their home country in the coming months. It appealed for $7.5 million to assist their return.

The International Organization for Migration said it has transferred more than 600 migrants, including 60 unaccompanied children, to Ethiopia on three flights so far this year. More flights were planned between Yemen’s southern port city of Aden and the Ethiopian capital of Addis Ababa, it added.

For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.

“Migrants transiting through or stranded in Yemen are some of those most affected by the deteriorating humanitarian situation in the country,” said Christa Rottensteiner, IOM’s chief of mission in Yemen.

Yemen’s civil war has not prevented migrants from entering the country, desperate to make their way to neighboring Saudi Arabia to find jobs as housekeepers and construction workers.

Last year, around 27,700 migrants embarked on the arduous journey from the Horn of Africa to Yemen, according to the IOM.

Read more:

Peace, Taiz in focus as Saudi deputy defense minister meets US special envoy to Yemen

Houthi top official says group not against extending truce in Yemen

UN: Yemen truce could help reverse ‘worsening’ humanitarian crisis

Continue Reading

World

Saudi foreign minister says some progress in talks with Iran

Saudi Arabia’s foreign minister said on Tuesday that there had been some progress in talks with Iran but “not enough” and that the Kingdom’s hands remain outstretched to Tehran.
Saudi Arabia and Iran have held five rounds of talks hosted by Baghdad.
“We have made some progress but not enough,” Prince Faisal bin Farhan Al Saud told a World Economic Forum panel. “Our hands are stretched out.”
For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.
“We continue to encourage our neighbors in Iran to lean into what can be a very, very important sea change in our region,” he said, adding that a “new era of cooperation” in the region could deliver benefits for all.
Saudi Arabia and Iran, which severed ties in 2016, launched direct talks last year as global powers moved to salvage a 2015 nuclear pact with Iran, which Gulf Arab states had seen as flawed for not addressing regional security concerns.
The nuclear talks have been on hold since March.
Prince Faisal said if a deal is reached it would “be potentially a good thing if it’s a good deal” and reiterated Riyadh’s stance that Tehran’s regional activities should be addressed.
Asked whether Riyadh was pleased by elections in Lebanon in which Iran-backed Hezbollah and its allies lost their parliamentary majority, Prince Faisal said: “This may be a positive step, but it’s too early to tell.”
He said it would depend on whether there would be real political reform “that re-imposes the authority of the state” and combats corruption as well as real economic reform.
Lebanon’s ties with Saudi Arabia, formerly a major donor to Beirut, had been damaged over what the Saudi foreign minister has said was the growing influence of Hezbollah in the country.
Asked why Riyadh has rebuffed US calls to raise oil production, Prince Faisal said Saudi Arabia does not expect an immediate shortage of oil and only a certain shortage of oil products.
Read more:

Stalled Iran nuclear talks have been ‘reopened’: EU’s Borrell

Three Turkish soldiers killed in Iraq: Defense ministry

Iranian jet crashes, two pilots killed: Report

Continue Reading

World

Three Turkish soldiers killed in Iraq: Defense ministry

Three Turkish soldiers serving in northern Iraq as part of operations against Kurdish militants were killed Tuesday, the defense ministry announced.

Another four soldiers were wounded during fighting, said the ministry statement, which did not say where the clash took place.

For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.

Turkey’s official news agency Anadolu said the Turkish soldiers had clashed with fighters from the Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK), which Ankara and its western allies say is a terrorist organization.

The PKK has training camps and bases in autonomous Iraqi Kurdistan and has been waging an insurgency against the Turkish state since 1984, a conflict that has killed 40,000 people, many of them civilians.

Ankara has launched a series of operations against PKK fighters in Iraq and Syria, the latest one in northern Iraq beginning in April.

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said on Monday that Turkey would soon launch a new military operation into northern Syria which he said was designed to create a 30-kilometre (19-mile) “security zone” along https://english.alarabiya.net/News/middle-east/2022/05/24/Iraqi-officials-Attacks-by-ISIS-militants-kill-12-civilianstheir border.

Since 2016, Turkey has also launched three offensives into northern Syria against the People’s Protection Units (YPG), a Syrian-Kurdish group it considers to be part of the PKK.

Turkey wants to use these security zones to keep Kurdish militants at a safe distance – and to house some of the 3.7 million Syrian refugees currently sheltering inside its own borders.

Read more:

Turkey's Erdogan threatens new incursion into Syria

Iraqi officials: Attacks by ISIS militants kill 12 civilians

Explosive-laden drone strikes Baghdad's airport: Report

Continue Reading

Trending