Connect with us

World

Taliban government scraps Afghan election commission

Published

on

The Taliban have dissolved Afghanistan's election commission, a panel that supervised polls during the previous Western-backed administration, a spokesman for the government said on Saturday.

“There is no need for these commissions to exist and operate,” Taliban government spokesman Bilal Karimi said, referring to the Independent Election Commission (IEC) and the Independent Electoral Complaints Commission.

“If we ever feel a need, the Islamic Emirate will revive these commissions.”

The Taliban swept to power in August as a Western-backed government imploded in the final stages of a US military withdrawal.

For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.

Established in 2006, the IEC was mandated to administer and supervise all types of elections, including presidential, according to the commission's website.

“They have taken this decision in a hurry… and dissolving the commission would have huge consequences,” Aurangzeb, who headed the panel up until the fall of the previous regime, told AFP.

“If this structure does not exist, I'm 100 percent sure that Afghanistan's problems will never be solved as there won't be any elections,” said Aurangzeb, who like many Afghans goes by only one name.

Halim Fidai, a senior politician in the previous regime, said the decision to dissolve the electoral commission shows the Taliban “do not believe in democracy”.

“They are against all democratic institutions. They get power through bullets and not ballots,” said Fidai, who was governor of four provinces over the past two decades.

Before the Taliban takeover, several electoral commission officials were killed by extremist groups.

Karimi said the authorities had also dissolved two government departments this week — the ministry of peace, and the ministry of parliamentary affairs.

The deeply conservative Taliban had already shut down the former administration's ministry of women's affairs and replaced it with the ministry for the promotion of virtue and prevention of vice.

That ministry earned notoriety during the Taliban's first stint in power in the 1990s for harshly enforcing religious doctrine.

The Taliban are pressing the international community to restore billions of dollars in suspended aid and have pledged a more moderate rule this time around.

Read more:

Taliban appeal again for UN seat after Afghan ambassador quits

Taliban rule marked by killings, boy soldiers, arrests: UN

Taliban seek ties with US, other ex-foes: Foreign minister

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

World

NATO chief says reaching out to Russia but ‘prepared for worst’

Published

on

NATO on Wednesday delivered its proposals to Russia for a diplomatic solution to tensions triggered by Moscow's military build-up near Ukraine, Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg said, but remained “prepared for the worst”.

“We are now reaching out to Russia once again to try to pursue a path of dialogue and find a political solution,” he said, after the alliance sent Moscow a written response to its security demands.

“But of course while we are hoping for and working for a good solution, de-escalation, we are also prepared for the worst,” he said.

Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Alexander Grushko confirmed to the news agency Interfax that Moscow had received the response from NATO, which was handed to Russia's envoy in Brussels.

For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.

Asked how long Russia could take to study the response, he said: “We'll read it. We'll study it. Our partners had taken nearly a month and a half to study our draft.”

Stoltenberg said US-led NATO was ready for a “real conversation” over Russian concerns — but rejected a key Moscow demand to close the door on Ukraine's hope of joining.

“We cannot and will not compromise on the principles on which the security of our alliances and security in Europe and North America rest,” he said.

The alliance's proposals were handed over the same time as the US delivered its own written response to the Kremlin.

Moscow blindsided the West by publishing two draft treaties for the US and NATO in December that would see Washington's influence rolled back in eastern Europe.

The demands were made as Moscow massed some 100,000 troops on its border with Ukraine, in a move the West warns could be the prelude to a large-scale invasion.

Stoltenberg laid out a raft of areas where he said NATO thought it could engage constructively with the Kremlin, including improving communications, increasing transparency around military exercises, and arms control.

NATO is hoping its offer is enough to convince Moscow to hold further talks with the alliance and de-escalate the tensions on the ground.

Read more:

US responds to Russia’s security demands in Ukraine crisis

Germany offers Ukraine helmets, Kyiv’s Klitschko ‘speechless’

Biden says Putin could face sanctions if Russia invaded Ukraine

Continue Reading

World

Saudi Arabia, UAE, UK, US condemn Houthi attacks, reaffirm support to Gulf security

Published

on

Saudi Arabia, the UAE, UK, US, and Oman condemned the Houthi attacks which targeted civilian sites in the Kingdom and Emirati capital Abu Dhabi, and reaffirmed support to both Gulf countries’ national security, a joint statement issued by the Saudi foreign ministry said on Wednesday.

Senior representatives from the five countries met on Wednesday to discuss Yemen’s Iran-backed Houthis’ attacks on Saudi Arabia and the UAE recently. The UN envoy to Yemen participated in the meeting.

Both the UAE and Saudi Arabia intercepted missile attacks launched by the Houthis targeting civilian sites in the Gulf countries within the two weeks.

For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.

“The Quint strongly condemned the Houthis’ repeated attacks against civilians within Yemen, including US local staff in Sana’a and their continued heinous terrorist attacks against Saudi Arabia and more recently the UAE. Such actions are obstructing peace efforts and exacerbating suffering,” the statement said.

It added: “The Quint expressed full support for Saudi Arabia and the UAE and their legitimate national security concerns and called for an immediate end to attacks by the Houthis. The Quint acknowledged the legitimate right of Saudi Arabia and the UAE to defend themselves against terrorist attacks as per international law and following international humanitarian law, including taking all feasible precautions to avoid civilian harm.”

The five countries also discussed the “illicit Iranian provision of missiles and advanced weaponry to the Houthis.”

Iran did not comment directly on the recent attacks by the Houthis, but it commented on what it described as “recent Yemen-linked developments” by saying military attacks were not the solution.

Iran has long supplied the Houthis with financial and military support. However, it is not yet clear if Iran sanctioned the attack, or if it was completely a Houthi singular decision.

Read more:

UAE, Saudi Arabia thwart separate Houthi attacks

UAE cooperated closely with US to repel second Houthi attack on Abu Dhabi: Ambassador

Houthis attacked UAE in retaliation for Arab Coalition gains in Yemen: Analysts

Continue Reading

World

Turkey’s Erdogan says Russia would be unwise to invade Ukraine

Published

on

Russia would be unwise to attack Ukraine and in that case Turkey would do what is necessary as a NATO member, President Tayyip Erdogan said on Wednesday.

In an interview with broadcaster NTV Erdogan said he had invited Russian President Vladimir Putin to Turkey under a proposal to host both sides for diplomacy and a path to peace, adding that he expects a response from Moscow.

Erdogan also said there was a need for comprehensive dialogue that addresses some of Russia's security concerns and that also explains to Moscow that some of its demands are not plausible.

For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.

‘I hope that Russia will not make an armed attack or occupy Ukraine. Such a step will not be a wise act for Russia or the region,’ he said. ‘There is a need for dialogue that will listen to Russia and eliminate their reasonable security concerns.’

Ankara has good ties with both Kyiv and Moscow, but opposes Russian policies in Syria and Libya, as well as its annexation of the Crimean peninsula in 2014. While forging cooperation with Russia on defence and energy, Ankara has also sold sophisticated drones to Ukraine, angering Moscow.

‘I repeat that we are ready to do whatever is necessary and I conveyed these messages to President Putin and President (Volodymyr) Zelenskiy,’ Erdogan said. ‘I think both countries are aware of the sincerity and good intent of Turkey,’

The crisis should be solved ‘avoiding the use of force,’ he added. ‘We hope the NATO initiative will be successful on this.’

Turkey first floated the mediation offer in November. Last week diplomatic sources said both Russia and Ukraine were open to Turkey playing a role in resolving the crisis.

Erdogan has said he would visit Zelenskiy in Ukraine in early February to discuss the crisis and would also meet or call Putin soon.

Read more:

Biden says Putin could face sanctions if Russia invaded Ukraine

US puts 8,500 troops on heightened alert amid Russia-Ukraine heightened tensions

Putin will pay ‘dear price’ if Russia invades Ukraine: US President Biden

Continue Reading

Trending