Connect with us


Israel frees Palestinian cleric Raed Salah jailed for incitement

Israeli authorities Monday released from jail radical cleric Raed Salah, a rival of the first Arab party leader to support an Israeli government, who was imprisoned for incitement to terrorism.

Salah was greeted with fireworks and a crowd of some 1,000 supporters who were chanting “Raed, the sheikh of Al-Aqsa” as he arrived in his home city of Umm el-Fahm, in northern Israel.

For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.

Last year, an Israeli court convicted him of “incitement to terror” for “praising, sympathizing or encouraging terrorism” in remarks made after attackers from his home city killed two policemen in Jerusalem’s Al-Aqsa Mosque compound three years earlier.

Salah, who walked free after serving a 16-month sentence, heads a group known as the northern branch of the Islamic Movement in Israel.

The political wing of the movement’s southern branch, called Raam, is headed by Mansour Abbas, who in June agreed to support a government headed by right-wing Israeli Prime Minister Naftali Bennett, backing that enabled Bennett to form a government.

The Islamic movement in Israel split in 1996.

Salah’s group was outlawed in 2015 for incitement linked to the Jerusalem holy site.

His supporters say his sermons are within the bounds of free speech and that his arrests constitute political intimidation intended to silence dissent. Salah served a nine-month sentence on similar charges in 2017.

Salah’s movement calls for the boycott of Israeli elections by Palestinian citizens of Israel on the grounds that they give legitimacy to the institutions of Israel.

Before Israel’s March election, Abbas said his party was willing to work with any Israeli government that would take steps to improve the lives of Arab citizens, who have long complained of unequal treatment compared to Jewish Israelis.

Abbas then emerged as a surprise kingmaker and joined the coalition in a historic deal that included a multi-billion dollar pledge to tackle some of the problems experienced by Palestinian citizens of Israel, who constitute more than 20 percent of the country’s population.

Read more:

Palestinian man killed by Israeli forces during clash in West Bank’s Nablus

Israel’s top court disqualifies far-rightist, approves Arab party for ballot

Israeli court upholds ban on Jewish prayer at Al-Aqsa mosque compound

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


US: Bodies of two of three missing kids found in Minnesota lake

The bodies of two young children have been recovered from a Minnesota lake, and searchers are still looking for a third they fear may have been intentionally drowned.

Meanwhile, the father of the children died at a different location hours earlier, and their mother is missing. Names have not been released.

For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.

The chain of events began Friday morning when the father was found dead at a mobile home park in the town of Maplewood, near Minneapolis. Police determined that the woman had left with the children, and a search began.

Maplewood Police Lt. Joe Steiner said the woman’s car was found near Vadnais Lake around 4 p.m. Friday. The shoes of the children were found on the shore.

A search of the lake found one child’s body Friday evening. A second body was found overnight. Searchers from several organizations were busy Saturday looking for the third, as well as the mother.

Authorities believe all three children were under the age of 5.

“There’s nothing more tragic than the loss of young children,” Ramsey County Sheriff Bob Fletcher said at a news conference on Friday. He called the deaths a “likely triple homicide.”

Read more:

Foreign firefighters arrive in Greece for summer wildfire season

Four tied bodies found in intentionally burned-out helicopter in Mexico

Astronaut study reveals effects of space travel on human bones

Continue Reading


Foreign firefighters arrive in Greece for summer wildfire season

Several dozen Romanian and Bulgarian firefighters took up their posts in Greece on Saturday, the first members of a European force being deployed to the country to provide backup in case of major wildfires during the summer.

More than 200 firefighters and equipment from Bulgaria, France, Germany, Romania, Norway and Finland will be on standby during the hottest months of July and August in Greece, where a spate of wildfires caused devastation last summer.

For all the latest headlines follow our Google News channel online or via the app.

A group of 28 Romanian firefighters with eight vehicles, and 16 firefighters from Bulgaria with four vehicles, were the first to arrive for the two-month mission, financed and coordinated under the European Union’s civil protection mechanism.

“We thank you very much for coming to help us during a difficult summer for our country, and for proving that European solidarity is not just theoretical, it’s real,” Greek Civil Protection Minister Christos Stylianides said on Saturday as he welcomed the members of the Romanian mission in Athens.

“When things get tough, you will be side by side with our Greek firefighters so we can save lives and property.”

The Bulgarian firefighters have been stationed in Larissa, in central Greece.

Last summer’s wildfires ravaged about 300,000 acres (121,000 hectares) of forest and bushland in different parts of Greece as the country experienced its worst heatwave in 30 years.

Following sharp criticism of its response to the fires, the Greek government set up a new civil protection ministry and promised to boost firefighting capacities.

In Greece’s worst wildfire disaster, 102 people were killed when a blaze tore through the seaside town of Mati and nearby areas close to Athens during the summer of 2018.

Read more:

Iranian-flagged tanker in Greece tugged to Piraeus port

Erdogan says no meeting until Greek PM ‘pulls himself together’: Report

Greece formalizes request for US-made F-35 fighter jets: PM Mitsotakis

Continue Reading


One killed, six injured in shootout between migrant groups in Serbia

One migrant was killed and at least six others, including a teenage girl, were injured Saturday in a shootout between migrant groups in Serbia near the Hungarian border, the state-run RTS television reported.

The 16-year-old girl sustained life threatening injuries in the incident that occurred in a forest in the outskirts of Subotica, some 160 kilometers (100 miles) north of Belgrade, where the injured were hospitalized, RTS reported.

For all the latest headlines follow our Google News channel online or via the app.

Police, who made no immediate comment, blocked access to the forest where the incident took place, only around a kilometer from the Hungarian border.

Interior Minister Aleksandar Vulin rushed to the scene.

The injured, aged between 20 and 30, have no documents, Subotica mayor Stevan Bakic told local media.

It is not known what triggered the incident, he added.

Local media reported that the shootout occurred between Afghan and Pakistani migrants most likely over human trafficking from the area to European Union member Hungary.

Serbia lies on the so-called Balkans route used by migrants heading towards Western Europe as they flee war and poverty in the Middle East, Asia and Africa.

Although the route is nowhere as busy as it was during Europe’s migrant crisis in 2015, tens of thousands of illegal migrants still cross the region annually.

Read more:

Three countries ban Russia’s Lavrov flight to Serbia, visit cancelled: Interfax

Kosovo cafe bans Europeans over visa ‘humiliation’

Continue Reading