Connect with us

World

Russia-led troops to begin leaving Kazakhstan in two days: President

Kazakhstan’s President Kassym-Jomart Tokayev said Tuesday that a contingent of Russia-led forces would begin leaving the troubled Central Asian country in two days, with the pullout to take no more than 10 days.

For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.

“The main mission of the CSTO peacekeeping forces has been successfully completed,” Tokayev said, referring to troops of the Collective Security Treaty Organization.

“In two days a phased withdrawal of the CSTO united peacekeeping contingent will begin. The withdrawal process of the contingent will take no more than 10 days,” he said, addressing the government and parliament in a videoconference call broadcast live.

The CSTO mission of more than 2,000 troops was despatched at the peak of the crisis last week, after armed clashes between government opponents and security forces and a looting spree rendered parts of the largest city Almaty almost unrecognisable.

Tokayev also appeared to have further bolstered his position, backing acting prime minister Alikhan Smailov to take on the job permanently — a nomination that won the unanimous support of lawmakers Tuesday.

Kazakhstan has framed last week’s unrest that grew out of a peaceful protest against an energy price hike in the west of the country and left dozens dead as a coup attempt assisted by foreign terrorists, but the crisis has also laid bare infighting at the very top of the government.

Tokayev’s mentor, founding president Nursultan Nazarbayev, has yet to appear publicly since the crisis began, despite Nazarbayev’s aide claiming that the 81-year-old strongman was in the capital Nur-Sultan and in dialogue with Tokayev.

Former national security committee chief Karim Masimov — a key Nazarbayev ally viewed by many as perpetuating the retired president’s influence over government — was arrested on Saturday.

Read more:

Kazakhstan detains almost 10,000 over deadly unrest

Kazakhstan says ‘strategic facilities’ under guard after unrest

Kuwait asks its citizens in Kazakhstan to leave the country

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

World

UK water companies to face unlimited fines for sewage pollution


Water companies will incur unlimited fines for polluting rivers and the sea under new UK legislation to protect the environment, according to the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs.

Therese Coffrey, the environment secretary, will announce plans next week to remove the £250,000 maximum fine on civil penalties for companies that break the rules. The environment agency is also seeking to strengthen its ability to impose sanctions on water companies without going through the courts.

For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.

Fines will be reinvested into a new Water Restoration Fund which will work with local communities and groups to improve water quality and support projects to improve management of waters and restore protected sites. Penalties and fines will be taken from water company profits, not customers.

Last year, 10 water and sewage companies within England released sewage into rivers and the sea on 301,091 occasions, with United Utilities and Yorkshire Water responsible for 40 percent of the spills.

“I want to make sure that regulators have the powers and tools to take tough action against companies that are breaking the rules and to do so more quickly, Therese Coffrey said in a statement.

The government’s ‘Plan for Water’ will also include measures against other forms of pollution, such as storm overflows, agriculture, plastics, road run-off and chemicals and pesticides.

The proposals will be published within a consultation on Tuesday.

Read more:

Climate activists turn landmark Rome fountain black

Tunisia to cut off public water supplies overnight in response to drought

‘Breathable sand’: How the UAE’s deserts can be a solution for climate change​​​​​​​

Continue Reading

World

Iraq, KRG close to deal to resume northern oil exports


Iraq’s federal government and the Kurdistan Regional Government (KRG) are close to striking a deal aimed at resuming northern oil exports, four sources familiar with the discussions told Reuters on Saturday.

Turkey stopped pipeline flows from the Kirkuk fields in northern Iraq’s semi-autonomous Kurdistan region to its port of Ceyhan on March 25, after it lost an arbitration case brought by Baghdad.

For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.

In the case, Iraq accused Turkey of violating their 1973 pipeline agreement by allowing the Kurdish government to export oil without Baghdad’s consent between 2014 and 2018.

The halted flows of around 450,000 barrels per day (bpd) only accounted for about 0.5 percent of global oil supply, but the stoppage, which forced oil firms operating in the region to halt output or move production into rapidly-filling storage tanks, still helped boost oil prices last week back to near $80/bbl.

An initial agreement between the two sides states that Iraq’s northern oil exports will be jointly exported by Iraq’s state-owned marketing company SOMO and the KRG’s ministry of natural resources (MNR), according to two of the sources – a senior Iraqi oil official and a KRG official.

Revenues will be deposited in an account managed by the MNR and supervised by Baghdad, the KRG official said.

The preliminary agreement has been sent to Iraq’s prime minister for final approval, according to two of the sources. The KRG source expects the deal to be confirmed by Monday.

The KRG declined to comment. Iraq’s oil ministry spokesman could not immediately be reached outside regular business hours.

Read more:

Oil firm starts shutdown in Kurdistan amid Iraq-Turkey dispute

Iraqi PM inaugurates Karbala oil refinery

Iraq sandstorm blankets Baghdad​​​​​​​

Continue Reading

World

Saudi boxer Ziad al-Maayouf to fight in London’s O2 arena ahead of Anthony Joshua


Saudi Arabian boxer Ziad al-Maayouf is set to face Bulgarian Georgi Velichkov in London’s O2 arena in one of the openings fights of boxing champion Anthony Joshua, state press agency SPA reported on Saturday.

For all the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.

The UK’s Joshua is set to fight US boxer Jermaine Franklin at around 11pm GMT on Saturday, according to broadcaster DAZN with a number of other fights – including al-Maayouf’s – taking place beforehand. Coverage of the event will be broadcast from around 7pm (10pm GST and 9pm in Saudi Arabia).

Joshua’s meeting with Franklin will be his first broadcast live exclusively on streaming service DAZN in the UK, according to UK news site the Mirror.

Al-Maayouf heads into the ring following an impressive performance in the Rage on the Red Sea competition in Jeddah in August 2022. In that match, al-Maayouf claimed victory over his Mexican opponent Jose Alatorre, cementing his position as the champion of the sixth round, held as part of 10 fights in the historic event in the world of boxing, according to SPA.

He will be the first boxer in the Arab world to compete in a pro bout in the prestigious O2 Arena, SPA said.

Read more:

Al-Muwallad withdrawn from Saudi Arabia World Cup squad over doping case

Al Nassr’s Ronaldo says ‘positively surprised’ by Saudi Pro League’s competitiveness

Watch: Cristiano Ronaldo fuming with anger after Al Nassr defeat by Al Ittihad

Continue Reading

Trending